In order to ensure growth in College and Career Readiness through implementation of the Common Core all staff will seek to implement the following shifts in instruction:
1. Improve reading comprehension for all students in the ELA, Science and Social Studies with a focus on close reading, text-based answers, writing from sources, and the development of vocabulary. All teachers and staff will ensure that:
- Students have rich and rigorous conversations dependent on a common text.
- Writing emphasizes use of evidence to inform or make an argument or articulate an idea rather than the personal narrative and other forms of decontextualized prompts.
- Students constantly build the vocabulary they need to access grade level complex texts.
2. To improve mathematical thinking and problem solving for all students with a focus on deep understanding. All teachers and staff will ensure that:
- They teach more than “how to get the answer” and instead support students’ ability to access concepts from a number of perspectives.
- Students see math as more than a set of procedures.
- Students demonstrate deep conceptual understanding of core math concepts by applying them to new situations, as well as writing and speaking about their understanding.